The beams we put in to keep the compression ring level served as great anchor points for a platform to work on the cupola. But while I was up there taking measurements, I just couldn’t resist a little go-go dancing.
We have to build a form that the concrete will go up to surround the cupola.
I started out by making a pattern of the compression ring. Then I built the framework from the lumber milled on our property.
The framework is then skinned with OSB board and will be wrapped with roofing felt. A rebar grid will continue up from the top of the arch to surround the cupola. We decided to have a skylight atop our cupola instead of vertical windows, which will simplify the construction process. We will have a bit of a challenge figuring out how to cut, what is essentially a octagonal tube, at an angle. Sort of like taking a diagonal slice out of a carrot. The North side will be roughly two feet higher than the South side. I’m afraid that this is all we accomplished this weekend but Jeff did get a bunch more rebar painted.